Cooking Classes

27.11.12

Baked French Toast

There are so many versions of what I call 'breakfast casseroles'. If you are having a big group for a brunch this is a great recipe that easily doubles and triples to fit your crowd. Feel free to add and subtract to change the flavour profile to your taste. Leftovers taste just as good as the fresh made French Toast.
 
Baked French Toast
Serves 6

6 – 8 thickly cut slices of bread
2 c. whole milk                                                500 mL
4 eggs
1/3 c. sugar                                                            80 mL
unsalted butter
1 tsp. vanilla or almond flavouring                        5 mL
1/2 tsp. orange zest                                                3 mL
1/2 tsp. cinnamon                                                3 mL

Any type of bread is fine in this recipe. French bread, challah, raisin bread or cinnamon buns are especially good. Be creative with flavourings. Cinnamon, nutmeg, raisins and nuts are a few ideas. Rather than sugar, try maple syrup. Fresh or frozen blueberries or saskatoons can be added on top of the bread slices.

Generously butter a 9” x 13” glass baking dish (23 cm x 33cm). Generously butter the thick slices of bread. Place the bread, buttered side up, one layer deep in the dish.

Whisk milk, eggs, sugar and flavourings. Pour over the bread slices. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to 12 hours. Bake in a 375F oven (190C) for 35-40 minutes or until puffed and golden. Cool for a few minutes, slice and serve with maple syrup, berries and dusted with powdered sugar.

This past week or so I have been featuring brunch and breakfast ideas. Let me know how it all works for you!
 

8 comments:

  1. I love this recipe because who in their right mind would want to be slaving in the kitchen on a Sunday?????Not me, that's for sure and this is the best dish to enjoy a day of rest! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, that looks gorgeous and so delicious! I love breakfast! I'm glad it's not morning here now or I would have to dive into the screen :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Estupenda receta me gusta es irresistible hugs hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nous l'appelons aussi pain perdu. On peut le varier comme on veut. C'est très bon.
    A bientôt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like it was a wonderful breakfast. I love Eggs Benedict, too, but we have to be mindful of all that cholesterol! Fie! The horrors of aging!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This would be fantastic for breakfast. Who wants to spend all Sunday morning in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, I love this amped up version of French Toast. I like the idea that is make ahead and one can get creative with it. Yum..

    ReplyDelete
  8. That last photo has be drooling on my keyboard. I LOVE breakfast!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.