Cooking Classes

19.3.12

Lamb Burgers with Goat Cheddar & Chipotle Balsamic Ketchup

How many descriptors should someone put in the name of a recipe?  I just couldn't stop!

I received my lamb order yesterday.  I bought a Black Welsh from Val at Life with Sheep.  They have a farm near Webb, SK.  Black Welsh Mountain Sheep are a heritage breed with mild flavoured lamb and mutton.  They seem to be well suited to our climate.

So, this is my first taste and I like it!  It is mild but definitely lamb.  I made this loaf of bread today and cut off the ends for a crunchy bun.  Here is what I did with the meat...

Lamb Burgers with Goat Cheddar & Chipotle Balsamic Ketchup

1 pound ground lamb
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon crushed fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 cup finely chopped onion

2 teaspoons of chipotle and sauce, pureed
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup of good quality ketchup (I used my homemade ketchup)
goat cheddar cheese

Mix all lightly.  Do not over work or it may be tough.  Form into 6 patties.  Preheat a cast iron pan so that a drop of water skips all over the pan. 

Place patties in the hot pan.  When nicely browned, turn over and brown the other side.  Turn the heat down and place a lid on the pan until the patties are cooked through.  Slice goat cheddar thinly and place on the patties now if you want it melted.

Mix the chipotles, balsamic vinegar and ketchup.  Serve the burgers with your favourite buns or bread and the ketchup.

5 comments:

  1. Yum! That looks so good! I have to stop reading food blogs at night...I am so hungry now! lol! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your profile mentions living on the prairie so I went to Google Earth for a look - you are seriously in flat lands. Your burger sounds very good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about the title....sometimes I keep going but other time I just stop. Like I made salmon rice salad with carrots, edemame, dill and capers with a dijon lemon olive oil dressing. I ended up calling it Salmon Rice salad. But I think you did a good job with this title, because I just had to come and see this recipe with all the good things you had in it! Wow, I can't wait to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of those descriptions are wonderful! It looks like a great burger.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.