Cooking Classes

1.6.10

Calamari Salad

I found these cleaned and frozen squid tubes at the local fish shop.  Everything is frozen when you are out on the prairies.  Thought I would try them.  I'll likely be having calamari again today just so I can use them quickly.

There is more dressing than you will likely use so just save the rest for another salad.  It tastes great on anything.  Or do like I did and make this salad twice!  Second time I deep fried the calamari rings.  I am sure it wouldn't take long to figure out which was my favourite!

Calamari Salad
  • 1/2 lb cleaned squid
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
  • 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 large garlic clove, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/4 cup red onion, halved lengthwise, then thinly sliced crosswise
  • 1/3 cup pitted Kalamata olives, halved lengthwise
  • 1/2 cup cherry or grape tomatoes (3/4 lb), halved or quartered if large
  • 1/2 celery rib, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
  • 2 tablespoons loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
  • 2 cups mesculun greens, washed and dried
Rinse squid under cold running water, then lightly pat dry between paper towels. Halve tentacles lengthwise and cut bodies (including flaps, if attached) crosswise into 1/3-inch-wide rings.
Cook squid in a 5- to 6-quart pot of boiling salted water , uncovered, until just opaque, 40 to 60 seconds. Drain in a colander and immediately transfer to a bowl of ice and cold water to stop cooking. When squid is cool, drain and pat dry.
Whisk together lemon juice, vinegar, oil, garlic, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
Meanwhile, combine squid, olives, onion, tomatoes, celery, and parsley in a large bowl. Toss with dressing and season with salt and pepper. Let stand at least 15 minutes to allow flavors to develop.

Just before serving, toss with mesculun greens.


Calarmari Salad......take 2

Well, since I still had one squid tube, I thought I would do a second take on this salad.  This time I deep fried the calamari.  The recipe is otherwise identical.

To deep fry calamari, cut the squid tube into rings and soak in buttermilk for 2 or 3 hours.  Drain and dredge in a seasoned flour mixture.  I simply used a tablespoon of Chesapeake Bay Style seasoning in a cup of all purpose flour.  Shake off the excess flour and fry.

Heat peanut or other oil with a high smoke point to 375F and cook in small batches.  It should only take about a minute to fully cook each batch.  Arrange the calamari rings on top of the tossed salad.

Cooks Note:  If you do not have a thermometer, then the correct temperature has been reached when a one inch cube of bread toasts in one minute in the oil.


My good friends, Greg and Jerry, dropped in this past long weekend.  They were so sweet to bring a gift for my new home.  They know me well and chose kitchen and garden things.  They brought me more of my favourite wild rice.  I swear that the best wild rice can be purchased in Winnipeg.

They also gave me a new product that is a lot like oat groats.  It is oat rice!  I will be experimenting with that and am thinking a pilaf might be good.  Some nice teas from Cornelia Bean, two plants from their garden (they saw my candied violets and gave me a pansy and a viola, both edible),  gardener's door knocker and Anna (a local foodie magazine).  Thanks guys!  This will provide hours of enjoyment.

7 comments:

  1. The both are great but I'll go for the deep fried version hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love calamari, but prefer the small squid to the rings... Have one place in town that does them perfectly...Never had them in a salad, only the deep fried..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visitors are such fun! And when they bring such great presents, it's just a real bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love salads like this one. I have tried something similar at Greek restaurants but with octopus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have tried cooking with calamari with mixed results; I find that octopus was easier.I would love to eat both salads, any day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOnderful salad recipe... I have octopus in the freezer... wonder if that would work???

    Your friends brought you such lovely presents... and you captured them perfectly too, Sarah~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad I stumbled on to your blog. Definitely excited to try this out! I was always scared of cooking with calamari, although never afraid of eating it!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.