Cooking Classes

15.12.09

Sausage Rolls or 'Pigs in Blankets'

Blogging is fun!  We meet a lot of nice like-minded people.  I have received this "La Cle de L'Amitie" from Saveurs et Gourmand.  It is like a friendship chain letter for us foodie geeks.  Anyone who views my blog is welcome to accept this with only one condition, you mention my blog as the giver of this gift.  Enjoy the fun!
In appreciation of Saveurs et Gourmand I am making one of her recipes.  I have loosely translated this from French, so please feel to correct me.  It was wonderful.  I ate these for breakfast!



I have from Trader Joe's in Atlanta, Hebrew National beef franks.  They are 97% fat free with no by-products, no artificial flavours, and no artificial colours.  These are ideal for Pigs in Blankets, as we would call them in Canada.  This is an 'en croute' application. 



Sausage Rolls    adapted from Saveurs et Gourmandises

3 1/4 c flour, half all purpose and half bread flour
1/4 c castor sugar
½ t. salt
2 ½ t. powdered milk
1 ½ t. instant dried yeast
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2/3 c water
2 T butter or margarine
16 - 18 sausages or frankfurters

Boil sausages or frankfurters in water until cooked.  Cool in the refrigerator.
Combine the flour, sugar, powdered milk, instant yeast and salt.
Lightly beat the egg and add to water.  Add this to the flour mixture.
Knead until the dough is smooth and elastic.
Lastly, add the butter and knead until incorporated.
Put the dough in a clean, oiled bowl and loosely cover with plastic wrap.  Put in a warm place until doubled in size.
Roll the dough into a rectangle and cut into ribbons that are about an inch in width.
Wrap each sausage with the bread strips.  Place the dough wrapped sausages on a baking sheet.


Let rise until the bread has doubled in volume.
Brush with egg yolk and 1 t. water.  Sprinkle with poppy seeds or sesame seeds.
Bake in a 350F oven for about 20 minutes or until golden.

Serve with dijon mustard.  Enjoy.

4 comments:

  1. I the spiral effect of the dough. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look gorgeous! My children will love this. Thanks for the recipe. Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks really delicious! I can't wait to try this out next weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.