Cooking Classes

27.12.09

Onion and Cider Soup with Roquefort Croutons


Christmas is over but the refrigerator is certainly not empty!  I have a quart of nice apple cider and a bit of blue cheese so when I came across this recipe, I thought it would be great to try.  And, it is quite low in fat, has a little protein in the cheese,  is two servings of fruit and vegetables and a serving of bread in each bowl.  It is a variation of a French Onion Soup.

Onion and Cider Soup with Roquefort Croutons
Gourmet  | November 1991
 Makes about 7 cups, serving 4 to 6 as main course

3 1/2 pounds onions, halved lengthwise and sliced thin
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cups unpasteurized apple cider
3 cups beef broth
1 cup water
2 tablespoons brandy
six 1/2-inch-thick slices of Italian bread, toasted lightly
3 ounces Roquefort or Saga Blue, crumbled (about 3/4 cup)


In a heavy kettle cook the onions in the oil over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour, or until they are golden brown. Stir in the cider, the broth, the water, the brandy, and salt and pepper to taste and simmer the soup, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Arrange the toast slices on a baking sheet, sprinkle the Roquefort on them, and broil the croutons under a preheated broiler about 4 inches from the heat until the cheese begins to melt. Ladle the soup into heated bowls and float a Roquefort crouton in each serving.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful looking soup! There is something about caramelized onions in a bit of brandy that just works - that's my go to topping along with goat cheese on grilled hamburgers in the summertime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally have this figured out,so I can respond properly.I created a blog account.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had nicer bowls! Can hardly wait to get into my own house again! I have always made the 'original' hamburger. I should be a little more adventurous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know you needed a blog account! Sheesh! More pin numbers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh delicious! This looks and sounds so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.