Cooking Classes

4.12.09

Iceberg Wedges with Creamy Bleu Cheese Dressing


This classic salad is back in fashion and I am glad.  I love this salad and now that I can have it when I eat out, makes me even happier.  I am using crispy, salted duck cracklings rather than the pancetta.  I found a nice little wedge of Maytag Blue Cheese (sells for $18.99/lb) at Fresh Market in Knoxville.  It is so good, not too strong and very creamy.

Iceberg Wedges with Creamy Bleu Cheese Dressing          serves 4
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 ounces blue cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
1/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
2 T buttermilk
1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
Freshly cracked black pepper
1 large head of iceberg lettuce, each cut into quarters
1 green onion, chopped

4 slices pancetta, prosciutto or bacon

Whisk mayonnaise, 1/4 cup blue cheese, yogurt, buttermilk, and vinegar in medium bowl until almost smooth. Mix in remaining blue cheese. Season dressing generously with cracked black pepper. (Can be made 1 week ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

Cut the pancetta (prosciutto or bacon) into bite size pieces and saute until crispy.  Arrange lettuce wedges on 4 plates. Spoon dressing over lettuce. Sprinkle with green onions, pancetta and additional black pepper and serve.

4 comments:

  1. Une salade fraiche, bien croquante et une sauce bien relevée. Magnifique.
    Sarah, merci de m'avoir mise dans tes blogs préférés. Je suis touchée.
    A bientôt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this salad! you make it look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The duck cracklings are brilliant... can't wait to try them. Great idea to have the buttermilk and yogurt to slim down the dressing. Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too love this salad. I first had it at The Outback, and now make it at home at least 3 times a week. Yum. I like the idea of cracklins, will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.