Cooking Classes

11.12.09

Sarah's Waldorf Salad


This is the last day of my month (or so) of salads.  It has been interesting.  My mood went from excitement to boredom to enlightment to excitement.  Unless we push the envelope we tend to cook the same old, same old.  Many of the salads were classics, but not ones that I normally find myself making at home.  So this has brought those to my attention and made the recipes more familiar to my memory.  So now if I see a good buy on something at the grocer, I might know a recipe I could use it with.  Saving money is always a good thing, right!  Today is another classic.

According to the American Century Cookbook, the first Waldorf Salad was created in New York City in 1893, by Oscar Tschirky, the maître d'hôtel of the Waldorf Astoria. The original recipe consisted only of diced red-skinned apples, celery, and mayonnaise. Chopped walnuts were added later to this now American classic. Some prefer their Waldorf salad made with yogurt, instead of mayo.

I am making a few more substitutions.  I am using Bartlett pear instead of apple and green grapes rather than red.  That is only because that is what I have on hand.  The two substitutions I cannot make are the celery and walnuts.  Walnuts and celery must be in a Waldorf.  This salad is also crying for a nice piece of bleu cheese, isn't it.  My version is a nice monochromatic salad.

Sarah's Waldorf Salad Recipe

  • 1/2 cup chopped, slightly toasted walnuts
  • 1/2 cup celery, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 cup green seedless grapes, sliced (or a 1/4 cup of raisins)
  • 1 Bartlett pear, cored and cubed
  • 3 Tbsp mayonnaise (or yogurt)
  • 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • wedge of a good blue cheese
  • wedge of pear for garnish
  • crisp salad greens
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Lettuce

In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise (or yogurt) and the lemon juice. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of fresh ground pepper. Mix in the apple, celery, grapes, and walnuts. Serve on a bed of crisp lettuce.
Serves 2.

1 comment:

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.